Thursday, August 21, 2014

Cooking through Bread and Wine: Goat Cheese Biscuits

My first recipe from "Bread and Wine" (in case you missed it, I am cooking my way through this deliciously wonderful book of essays, stories and recipes!) was Goat Cheese Biscuits which turned out quite successful if I do say so myself (but you didn't taste them, so you just have to trust me!)

Dave and I were going to a summer dinner party at a friend's house and I decided to give this recipe a try. It was the perfect appetizer and since we were eating brisket, the leftovers made it on to our dinner plates as well. A perfect soft bite after a delicious mouthful of barbecue. I left some with the host and am happy to report that these little biscuits make a delicious breakfast with a little jam :)


First off, small disclaimer -- this lovely picture is not a picture of my biscuits (although they looked about the same) I am currently using a temporary phone so I don't have access to my photos. But, this gives you an idea of how the biscuits turn out when you are finished.

The goat cheese makes the biscuits fluffy and light, adding a richness to a traditional item.  However, it's goat cheese which is known for it's tangy-ness, so expect the biscuits to have a little different flavor. The author (and I) suggest you serve with strawberry preserves or marmalade or some other type of sweet jam or preserves. I don't particularly love goat cheese, but I loved these biscuits, particularly when smeared with strawberry preserves. I felt the sweet and tart mixed together nicely.

Goat Cheese Biscuits

From: “Bread & Wine” by Shauna Niequist
Ingredients
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup plain yogurt
6 tablespoons cold butter, divided
4 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Instructions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place a 10-inch cast-iron pan into the oven while it’s preheating.
Pour flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium-sized bowl. Cut 4 tablespoons of the butter into small pieces and add it to the bowl, with the goat cheese and the yogurt. Stir until the mix is moistened, adding an extra tablespoon of yogurt if needed.
Remove the hot skillet from the oven and place a tablespoon of butter into it.
When the butter has melted, divide the batter into 12 biscuits, each about the size of a golf ball, and then nestle them into the pan —tuck them in snugly, maybe a ring of 9 around the edge, then 3 in the middle.
Brush the tops of the biscuits with one tablespoon of melted butter. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes until browned on the top and bottom. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the grated Parmesan cheese.
MAKES: around one dozen biscuits
This recipe is perfect for breakfast, finger foods or a bread/side dish. I loved this dish - just make sure you have some type of preserves on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment