Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Two Years, Two Lessons

A few days ago, Dave and I celebrated two years of married life together! In some ways, it seems like we have been married forever, but in a lot of ways,  it seems like just yesterday, we were doing this....


And this....



Year 2 brought a new job (Dave started at a new firm a few weeks ago), passed exams (5 down, 2 to go), tons of travels (NYC, Harper's Ferry, Canada, Rosemary Beach, State College), a paid off car note, savings for our one day home, a new apartment, tons of visitors, a new nephew, lots of growth, some heartache and loss - and lots of JOY and LAUGHTER!

Just a few of this year's memories....

Stealing Kisses

Harper's Ferry

Cherry Blossoms

Easter

Toronto, Canada

Rosemary Beach, FL

Macy's Parade, NYC

Valentines Day, State College


We celebrated a day early with dinner at Founding Farmers and Shake Shack for dessert.  I cooked us a good breakfast the next morning and we sat on the porch to eat and toast with our wedding flutes! We then spent the day being DC tourists!

2nd Anniversary!



I am still learning this whole "marriage" thing, so I don't have too much advice to offer yet. However, I will share two lessons I have learned to help keep our marriage happy and growing!


(1) Remember that each day in marriage is a blessing (and one that you are not promised)

One of the things that most helps me remain joyful in my marriage is that I spent most of my twenties not married. What I mean by that statement: I know that marriage is not promised. I know that there are men and women who would love to meet the right person to settle down with, but life has not happened just as they hoped.  I know there are widows/widowers who have to move on daily without their life partners. So, I also know that despite the cover stealing, bickering, chore sharing, finance discussing drama that marriage can bring, I am very lucky to be married to my sweet Dave.

Don't get me wrong -- there are moments where Dave irritates me incredibly (and probably far more moments where he can't stand me). But, when I start to complain or focus on problems in life and marriage, I try to remind myself how fortunate I am to have a great husband and how so many men and women are hoping to meet some one or are recovering from losing someone.  Often times, the thing we complain about is what someone else is what someone else longs for! And, at one point in time, this particular gift was something I longed for as well!

Marriage is a blessing - and I don't always see it that way, but when I remember how fortunate I am, my perspective towards my husband and the hassles of matrimony changes.



(2) Keep a long record of the good and short record of the bad.

Remember all the fun things about your marriage, all the kind things your spouse does, all the great dates and fun trips and flirty texts and sweet goodbye kisses.  Be thankful and appreciative of all these things. Be verbally appreciative and be reciprocal.  But, try not to hold on to the bad memories, fights, hurtful words. It's easier to keep account of the bad than the good, but the good is the stuff worth remembering!


###

Oh, and Have Fun! People talk a lot about how hard marriage is -- and it can be really hard (but then again, life - in general - is sometimes really hard.) but we often make it sound all "doom and gloom"  Marriage can also be a blast!   I recently filled out an "advice card" at a bridal luncheon with advice from the guests for the bride.  My last piece of advice was "Have Fun" because spending life with your best friend can be crazy fun.  And, it's those happy moments that get you through the tough ones.





8 comments:

  1. Love this! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany, can't wait for baby Lashmeat to arrive!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful married years here with us. But this time I want to know that which venues in DC are good for my anniversary party. Hope you can help me and come up with some good suggestions!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm, I got married in Mississippi so I may not be an expert on venues here in DC. I would check out some of the great hotels -- the Mayflower, Fairmont, Georgetown Four Seasons, Georgetown Ritz.

      Also, I have been to events at the Ronald Reagan Building and Folgers Shakespeare Library. Both were quite lovely. Some of the local restaurants might be good options as well! Especially if they have a private room. My personal fav DC restaurant is Le Diplomate. I do not know if they do private parties, but worth a look. Good Luck!

      Delete