Monday, November 3, 2014

Cooking through Bread and Wine, Recipe 3: Blueberry Crisp

Remember my goal to cook through Bread and Wine this fall? Yeah, me too.  But, my typical excuse, life got busy and things like trying new recipes (and blogging) fell off my radar.  So, I am just now trying out my 3rd recipe!

I bought the ingredients a few weeks ago to cook this dish for my papa's birthday while he was in town, but we had so much food at the house already...leftovers, tailgate snack food, breakfast treats, etc. that I decided to postpone....and this dish was worth the wait. I absolutely loved it.  

The dessert was tasty and sweet without being too sugary or heavy. Pair it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you have a wonderful dish.  The author mentions that the leftovers are good as a reheated breakfast, particularly when topped with greek yogurt.  I might have to try that tomorrow :)

As is normally the case, this is not my picture. I was too busy eating to snap a shot of the crisp!


I loved 3 things about this dessert:
  1. I loved the crunchy topping mixed with the soft warm blueberries. I think it's wonderful when foods aren't too hard or crunchy and aren't too mushy.  This dessert was a nice in between!
  2. It's fairly healthy.  You use almond flour, oats, nuts, blue berries, oil and a little maple syrup (or honey in my case because I did not have any maple syrup).  There is no butter or sugar and the whole dish requires 1/4 cup of sweetener which is pretty good for a dessert.
  3. It's EASY to make.  We made last minute plans to have dinner at another couple's house. They were making the meal so I volunteered to make dessert and bring a bottle of wine. I then proceeded to be lazy and put off cooking all afternoon -- but this recipe took 5 minutes to prep and 40 minutes to cook, so my procrastination didn't ruin the evening! And, my Sunday didn't require hours in the kitchen which allowed me more time to curl up with D and catch up on TV (priorities, folks). I may always keep a couple bags of frozen berries in the freezer so that if I need a last minute dessert, I can throw this together.
So, here's the recipe to this delicious dish. Spoiler alert: I am making it again for our dinner group this week...although I am considering trying a different fruit as the base.  And I need to bring a meal to a new mom so I may make it for her as well. This is my grown up version of having a favorite shirt during childhood that you insist on wearing again and again. I found a simple, fairly healthy, tasty recipe that I enjoy, so it will be my go to for the next couple months!

Oh, and I am also happy to report that if you only have honey at home and are too lazy to go to the store and buy maple syrup, honey substitutes quite well.  I still want to taste the maple syrup next time I make it, but the honey had a nice light flavor and definitely works!

Ingredients
  • 4 cups blueberries (or any fruit, really)
  • Crisp topping:
    • 1 cup old fashioned oats
    • ½ cup pecans
    • ½ cup almond meal (available at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, health food stores, or made by putting almonds in food processor until fine, but before they turn to almond butter)
    • ¼ cup maple syrup
    • ¼ cup olive oil
    • ½ tsp salt


Instructions
Pour four cups fruit into 8×8 pan. Spread crisp topping over the fruit. Bake at 350 degrees 35-40 minutes, or longer if topping and fruit are frozen, until fruit is bubbling and topping is crisp and golden.

See? Could that be any simpler? 
Other Bread and Wine recipes I've tried:

No comments:

Post a Comment