Thursday, October 8, 2015

2015 Fall Reading List

Who is excited it's fall? ME, ME, ME!!   I will openly admit that I have a glass half empty approach to Fall. I mean, on the one hand, I LOVE FALL. I love the leaves and the pleasant weather and the pumpkins and sweaters and apple picking and decor and yummy soups and pastries.  Oh, and of course, I love the football. (Okay, so I really love most everything about fall - except pumpkin spice lattes, those drinks are nasty with a capital N)  But, I also start to get nervous when fall comes around - because we all know which season follows fall...nasty, cold, dreary winter.  Truthfully, winter isn't always bad. I mean, there's Christmas and Mardi Gras - and this year, there's Annie D's upcoming birth day. (20 more weeks - or less - but, who is counting? haha)  But a few months of cold wet weather is a bit depressing.  However, I am TRYING my best not to let me fear of winter rob me of the joy of fall. (probably a good lesson for life too, not just the seasons...)

One thing I am VERY excited about is diving into a few news books.  Good books and cozy sweaters and warm banked goods go together like white on rice. I envision myself curling up with a good book by a toasty fire with a blanket or sweater and pumpkin candle and hot cocoa or warm homemade treats! You know, imagine me in a pinterest picture...





In reality, we don't have a fireplace and although I love the idea of a cozy knit blanket and cup of cocoa, this will be what a lot of my reading looks like... (Thank you, Lord, for KINDLES)



But truthfully, what better way to survive your commute than a good book? Am I right?

Anyways, I read a lot of books during the 4 months I called summer, but now, my morning sickness is gone, I am travelling less - and my "fall time frame" is a bit shorter (just 2 months) so my list is a little shorter this time.  I hope to read 6 books over the next 2 months - and just like last time, I will try to enjoy a book from each of my 4 categories: parenting and marriage, fiction, sequels and nonfiction.  The categories are a bit more broad this time - but hey, it's 2 months, so I can't over commit!

Here's my FALL 2015 READING LIST:


Parenting/Home/Marriage: books to guide me in being a mom and wife (including a book on healthy eating during pregnancy)


The Sh*t No One Tells You: a Guide to Surviving your Baby's First Year by Dawn Dais


Basically, I woke up the other day and realized that I was halfway done with my pregnancy and had done NO PREP work.  The first trimester (and part of the second trimester as well), I was just surviving!  The first half of the second trimester, I was celebrating feeling well again. But goodness, only 20 weeks (or less) to get ready for little AD?? Time to get busy - starting with reading books. This one seems perfect - I want to know the nitty gritty on parenting a newborn- ups and downs and surprises!



Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting by Pamela Druckerman


I am about to be a mom and I love all things French - so this must be the perfect book for me. Plus, it has been rave about - so of course I need to read!



Trim Healthy Mama by Pearl Barrett and Serene Allison


I have a general understanding of this eating plan -- healthy carbs, proteins and fats, very little sugar - and ideally, you pair your carbs, proteins and fats together a certain way.  You can do this diet intensely to lose weight - or a more gentle version to stay healthy during pregnancy.  The past few weeks (and the first couple weeks pre-morning sickness), I have *loosely* followed this plan, so maybe followed it 50 percent? I felt it was time to actually read the book and try to follow it a bit more rigidly. Although, by rigidly, I meat 75 percent. The reality is that I am STARVING and sometimes going to eat CAKE or PIZZA --haha, but the rest of the time, I can eat healthy. I don't want to deprive myself - as I am not dieting - just limit myself to not always "splurge" in the excuse of pregnancy!  I don't want to be HUGE - and also, I want to stay pretty healthy to help with delivery, swelling, etc. Hopefully, once I finish this book (about 50 pages in so far), I can form a game plan for the second half of pregnancy!


His Needs, Her Needs for Parents by Willard F. Harley, Jr.


I am so thrilled about our sweet baby girl on the way. Dave and I can't wait to be parents!  But, a part of me is sad to see our "just the two of us" stage of life coming to an end (or an end for the next few decades ha!)  Moving far away during the beginning of our marriage truly taught us to rely on each other and be the best of friends.  We bicker and irritate each other, but we didn't have the luxury of staying mad at one another because we needed each other! I know our relationship will change as we have children, but I am interested in finding ways to fight for it to still be good, possibly even better.  



Some type of baby sleeping book (TBD)

Dave works. I work. We don't have moms nearby. Please, Lord, let our baby be the type of child that can sleep train or get on some kind of schedule!  There are several sleeping advice books, so I have no idea which one I will read.  Honestly, I will probably read a few theories and find what works for us. But, seriously, please baby girl, be a good sleeper!



Fiction: you know, the fun books. :)

The Little Women Letters by Gabrielle Donnelly


I love Little Women - it was one of my favorite childhood books (on the same level as the Chronicles of Narnia for me which is a HUGE compliment to Miss Louisa May Alcott).  I loved Jo - and always related to how she felt different and awkward in her family and in the world.  I admired her passion, desire for justice, and spunkiness. So, when I found out there was a book about her great grand-daughters living in London who discover her letters in the attic, I knew I would have to dive in.  Confession: I read this book already (on the plane to and from Mississippi this weekend) and I loved it!!!


A Paris Apartment by Michelle Gable


This book was on my list for the summer- but I never got to it.  A co-worker just shared how she knocked it out in one day because it was so good, so I knew I had to eventually get to it. Maybe I will tackle it this fall!


Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

Likewise, this book was also on my summer reading list.  It is written by the author of What Alice Forgot which is a book that I really enjoyed.  So, hopefully, I am able to read it soon!



Sequels: follow ups to books I enjoyed this summer!


China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan

If you remember, I read the first book this summer for book club (Crazy Rich Asians) and it was entertaining fluff - set in Asia which made it all the more interesting!  This is the sequel - and I can't wait to dive in!


The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion


The first book, The Rosie Project, was also a summer read for me - and I loved the quirky characters and sweet love story.  I felt like the book also had a happy upbeat message among a lot of the trash or negativity we read these days - you can't choose who you fall in love with and sometimes that person may not be "perfect on paper".  I know I will enjoy this sequel!




Non-Fiction: religious, self help or good ole fashion snarky humor (while dispensing life advice!)

Nice is Just a Place in France by the Betches

This is probably not a book I would have picked out for myself - but it is our book club pick for October, so I look forward to diving in. Some practical advice mixed with a little humor and sarcasm - I think I will enjoy! (I love my book club - the theme is best sellers - so it ranges from sassy books like this one, to biographies like Unbroken to beach reads to acclaimed literary works like All the Light We Cannot See.  ALWAYS a good variety, and definitely not too serious!) 


Prayer by Tim Keller


This book is mandatory - as it is our small group study book for the fall. I am already enjoying it!  I love Tim Keller - and I love how this book seems to be a summary of what other great Christian heroes say about prayer (and what the Bible says about prayer) - rather than his personal opinions.  Dave thinks it is a bit dry, like a lecture, but I am nerdy and love reading the theological and historical points!


For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards by Jen Hatmaker


I love Jen Hatmaker - but only recently started following her, so I have not read very much of her work.  Everyone is speaking highly of this book - and I think the topics of Grace and high standards (with myself and others) is something I could really relate to - and probably feel convicted by. Plus, the book was already on the family Kindle account. (Thanks mom)




So, there it is - my book list for fall. Here's hoping that my list motivates me to keep up my reading habit - even with visitors and a couple fun getaways planned and Saturday football! There are so many good options on this list that I don't know which book to start next!

What about you? Any books you have read this fall that you love? Any books you are planning to read?

***If you like this list, you can read my 2015 Summer Reading list here (final list with all my additions here) and the 2014 Summer Reading List here.


1 comment:

  1. Great list!! I am going to get the his needs her needs book. A month into this parent thing and I can see how easy it is to let your relationship get stuck on the back burner!

    ReplyDelete