Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Lower-Carb Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas

Last night, Dave's friend came over and I made Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas -- which were pretty good if I do say so!! I researched and combined a few different recipes to come up with a recipe that works for our family....not too many veggies, but not too fattening. I used low carb low cal tortillas which made the dish a bit healthier.
SIDE NOTE: I'm not returning to strictly low carb eating like I did most of last year, but I thought coming up with some lower carb meal options would be a good healthy move for us...We use tortillas/wraps A LOT --for breakfast burritos (that I premake and stick in the freezer), quesadillas, tacos, enchiladas and sandwich wraps.  A switch to low carb tortillas is so simple and just makes the dishes a bit healthier....and at Trader Joes, the LC wraps are only slightly more expensive than the regular wraps.

 

Ingredients

5 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup light sour cream
10 oz can of enchilada sauce
1.5 (or 2) cups of shredded taco cheese
2 cups of shredded chicken
1 cup of black beans (or 1 cup of corn)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
Salt and Pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced
8-9 whole wheat tortillas (**I used the low carb Trader Joe's brand which is only 45 calories and 4 net carbs)
4 oz can of diced green chilis (optional)

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9×13 dish with cooking spray. (If you are using smaller low carb tortillas, you can use a smaller dish -- I fit mine into a 10.5 x 7 inch dish)
2.In the bowl of your mixer cream together the cream cheese, sour cream, and 1/2 of the enchilada sauce. Stir in 1 cup of cheese.
3.In a second bowl toss together the chicken, black beans, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, green chilies (optional), and half of the scallions. Add the chicken mixture to the cheese mixture and combine well.
4.Spread about half of the remaining enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.
5.Spoon the filling into each tortilla, roll the tortilla up, and place in the baking dish with the seam down. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the filled tortillas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with the remaining scallions and serve.

 I swiped this pic on the internet (thanks google) because I didn't take a picture of my enchiladas (and I subbed out 1/4 cup of diced yellow onions for green because that's all I had) --- but this is what the dish looks like when done, yummy! Also, in case you were curious, the yellow onions turned out fine -- I only put the yellow onions in the dish, not on top of it - and it worked!

Nutritional Information

Based on 9 enchiladas (I was able to make 9 enchilladas out of my mix) Each enchilada has:
 - 260 calories
 - 15 grams of fat
 - 16 net carbs
Based on 8 enchiladas:
 - 287 calories
 - 17 grams of fat
 - 17 net carbs
I like meals like enchiladas that are easilly portioned. There's no guessing about serving size or how many calories you have eaten!  I can eat one enchilada with a salad and David can eat two and we can separate the remaining enchiladas into tupperware and already have lunch packed!

1 comment:

  1. Look at you madame housewife, and AFTER working all day! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete