Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thankful for the Giver

Today, I am thankful for the GIVER of good gifts. I’ve spent the past couple posts discussing the many many blessings in my life – and it is SO important to remind ourselves of how HE provides many good gifts, especially when circumstances are difficult and we need to remember.

But, it is EVEN MORE IMPORTANT to remember that He is good. This article by one of my favorite bloggers state that fact excellently, so I won’t add too much to the discussion....

“The grounds of our thanksgiving is that God is good; not that He gives good gifts”

I’ve got a lot to be thankful for this year – a job, a roof over my head, family, friends, health, Dave, a coat, food, the ability to travel home for the holidays, ordinary everyday blessings and some extras.

But, most importantly, I have a God that loves me, that is good, faithful, kind, perfect. If my thankfulness for my many blessings doesn’t make me thankful for the giver, then I am missing the point. I have a God who has held my hand through trials and who stands by me even though I don’t deserve His faithfulness.

Trials make it difficult to be thankful, but in the end, I think the person undergoing hardships generally finds it easier to develop a gratitude for the giver, not His gifts. Gratitude while suffering may be hard fought for, but it's root is in a belief that God is good! In times filled with gifts and blessings, it may be even more important to remind our hearts of the giver, not the gifts.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow, but mostly, just praise God. Even if blessings don’t come – but especially if they do, “He is reason enough for gratitude this season and every season.”

No comments:

Post a Comment