Sunday, August 18, 2013

EXCITING NEWS!!!

So, some exciting news...

This Thursday, I accepted a job!! 

As of September 5, 2013, I will be employed again!  I am starting a legal clerkship position a lobbying firm downtown, BGR. BGR is a conservative leaning (although technically non-partison) lobbying firm started by southerners 22 years ago. A clerkship is kindof a job between an internship and a permanent longterm job. Clerkships are usually positions for law students and recent law school grads, so this isn't a forever job for me.

However, it is a position I can take to get my foot in the door and a position where I won't be answering phones, etc.  The clerks work for the General Counsel and conduct research for the 20+ lobbyists.  I was hoping to find a position that would provide a chance to use my legal research skills in a more legislative way so I am very excited to start my new position.  Also, the counsel encouraged me to keep interviewing and applying elsewhere (on the side) and said that he knew I wouldn't want to be a clerk forever so if I needed to set up interviews during the work day or if I got a job and left, that would be okay.  Also, the commute is great...a short walk to the metro then 9 minute train ride to a metro station that is underneath the building I will be working in. As you can see, this seems to be a pretty ideal opportunity for me!

 I'm very grateful and very excited.  BGR is a top firm and I am glad I will be learning from the best! It was at the top of my list of places I wanted to work so I am so excited to have this chance!!

So, although last week started out rough, full of unpacking and having to adjust to being back in the city and away from friends and family, it ended on a pretty good note.  God's timing is good.  All during Dave's job search, I prayed God would open doors to the place that was best for us -- a place where we both had opportunities, could make friends, found housing. I had kept my head up through the move and job searching, but was very down last week.  He was good to give me a job even when I was mopey and doubting.

I'm going to be busy the next two weeks, unpacking and setting up house, but after that,  I will be working downtown at this lovely building......




the beautiful lobby!



I can't wait!! It feels like we will be starting our DC routine now-- both working, involved in church, making friends.  Glad to make this city our home!

PS Y'all know this southern girl is already thinking about which outfit to wear on the first day.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! Congrats, Katy! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to see what your first outfit is.... :)

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Katy! This is wonderful news! Seems like the perfect timing for you, as you'll still have a couple more weeks to get settled. And it's great that they're ok with you continuing your job hunt and even encourage it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Great news! Good luck next week starting your job. I hope you are enjoying your time being a housewife for the next week or so. I know you will do great.
    - Mandy

    ReplyDelete